Sunday, April 20, 2008

Omaha and Back Again

Thursday the wife and I headed down to Omaha for the "Death, Murder, and Mayhem" Symposium put on by the University of Nebraska, where I delivered a paper on the use of Native American imagery in violent electronic games. I had a good turnout, and the participants asked good questions about violence and racial stereotyping.

We enjoyed staying at the old downtown area and checked out some of the shops and eateries, and we went to a play that was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize: "The Man from Nebraska," by Tracy Lett, put on by the Blue Barn Theater. Saturday we enjoyed lunch in the 70 degree sunlight.

Saturday, before we left, I had to drive onto the Omaha Marathon course where it used to finish uphill into the domed arena, the site of my just-too-late finish that kept my first marathon from qualifying me for the Boston Marathon (to be run tomorrow!) by 34 seconds. Then we hustled home again, jiggety-jig.

No comments: