Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Kingdom for a Crown

I've got plenty to do, people waiting on various projects or papers, work on writing that I'm doing, leading the local historical society, putting together a newsletter and a creative writing magazine. So what am I doing accepting the position of faculty chair? Maybe it's just for the crown. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the swag--the free books and magazines at the conference, the chip bag clamps at the insurance company, the toothbrush and floss at the dentist, the medal at the end of the marathon. Would I have taken on the chairmanship if it weren't for the tarnished and tattered crown? Who knows. Ludwig can wear it for the time being. He doesn't seem to have much to do besides look stern.

2 comments:

April said...

Swag = stuff we all get. Congratulations all the same, even if it feels like you're taking on a lot.

John Nelson said...

Yup, swag. Of course, the crown is soig--stuff only I get, which makes it different, more precious, one might say . . . my precious . . .