Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hidden Where I Can See

Sunday afternoon, grading papers, hoping for the wind to go down, listening to Bruce Springsteen, Devils and Dust, thinking about acts of hatred, countered with acts of kindness, counting up and keeping a tally--against my better sensibilities. Behind my computer monitor where only I see them are copies of two poems, "Ask Me," by William Stafford, and "The Lake Isle of Innisfree," by W. B. Yeats, dreams of peace and no way to say it out loud. There too is a copy of a morning resolution by Jissen Rinri Kesikai:
For today, this very day
I will work happily and willingly with gratitude towards society, teachers, and parents.
For today, this very day
I will not speak ill of others nor glory in myself.
For today, this very day
I will not become angry nor dissatisfied.
For today, this very day
I will not be wasteful whether it is of a material thing, or my mind. Today will be a new day.

This piece is from my host during short stay in Yokohama, Japan--Seiji Ikeda. Just a reminder, for you and me, the weight in the acts of love, generosity, and kindness, the only way to counter hatred.

No comments: