Sunday, July 02, 2006

Five-K Firsts

The big news in Howard yesterday wasn't the Tootsie Rolls, not really, nor the fact that it was (and is) celebrating its 125th anniversary. The bigger news was that the niece and the wife ran their first 5k races ever, handily dispatching the distance, although not without some effort and weak moments. They earned their t-shirts, so it didn't help that the organizers announced, right after the race (for which participants paid $15), that left over road race shirts would be available for $5. Sister-in-law bought one just to get my goat, but she can't have it. I'll wear mine with a clean conscience.
My conscience is clear too, with the knowledge that as we three ran together, I stuck with the wife (over her stated objections) when the niece began to pull away. Don't know when the next race is, but the wife now has a PR she can work on improving. Cool.

3 comments:

Phil B said...

The race shirt always seems to fit much better when it is earned through hard work and determination rather than by simply laying out the cash...

Congrats to D and your niece in running the run!

Anonymous said...

Sure make me the bad guy! You forgot to mention the $$ from the left over t-shirts goes to the new track at the High School, so I can wear it with a clear conscience AND to get your goat!
The Sister-in-law

John Nelson said...

OK, OK, you paid good money for the shirt and should get to wear it. If you're wearing it to get my goat, though, I'll have to be there, and then I get to supply my own commentary! Fair enough?