Saturday, August 05, 2006

Humping It Through the Week

The Smith-Zimmermann Museum, of which yours truly stands as board member, vice president of the Lake County Historical Society, had an excellent day today as a couple hundred people showed up for our annual auction, raising about $20,000 for our endowment. Hoo-rah! Most of the items came from Charles Wiedeman, who donated his household goods and two vehicles. Excellent weather and quality items brought out the folks who paid generously for the stuff we'd hauled out of his house and collected from area contributors.
With that done, the Society members breathed a sigh of relief, as the Chautauqua and this auction have kept us hopping recently.
What did I buy? After intense bidding, I managed to snag this cool statue of DSU's fearless leader, General William Henry Harrison Beadle. So what if it needs my crafty attention? I can now return the bust of the General to his old office, now mine.
So what else has been going on? TQ and LS came for beverages last evening, I sent off some Ebay goods that I sold, I got books ordered for classes, I sent off thank-you letters for Chautauqua volunteers and contributors, the wife and I took a trip to Sioux Falls for shopping purposes, I gave some rides on the Magna to three Japanese young men from Tamagawa University (none of whom had ridden on a motorcycle before and one of whom couldn't help squealing like a girl every time I hit the throttle), I got a couple of runs in, I visited with JS after a long day working on the auction, and I visited EJ who showed me what was new with his hot rods. Busy.

No comments: