Tuesday, June 07, 2011

My Bogus Lexus

Okay, so I've been shopping for a convertible (again), and a Lexus appeared on the Keloland Automall that seemed too good to be true.  How could some calamity benefit me and give me a ride I would almost be ashamed to be seen in?  $5500 bucks!  I checked NADA and KBB and it listed for about $18 grand.  Whoop! I wrote to the owner, almost panting.  "She" wrote back:
Hello there,

The car is still for sale.. Thanks for being interested in buying my 2002 Lexus SC 430. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an 8-Cylinder STRONG 4.3 L  engine, 76,000 miles, clear title in my name, a perfect car. The last price is not negotiable, $5,500.00 firm. YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER LEXUS  with only 76K MILES FOR THIS PRICE! The only thing because I am selling it, because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this car, now as a woman with two little girls I don`t need it...

I can provide vin# to check on your own. Just let me know if you are still interested.
Here are some more pics... http://imageshack.us/g/718/kgrhqeoki8e2cmsis6ubnyr.jpg/

Thank you very much,
Darlene Riggs 
Look at those photos!  What a ride!  But no phone number.  Hmm.  I wrote again, indicating I was a willing buyer, ignoring the hints--grammatical mistakes, emphatic caps, etc.

"She" replies:
Hi again,
Here is the VIN#: JTHFN48Y120015251. The car is located and registered in Great Neck, NY (I just moved here in Great Neck after divorce), we will use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so we can both be protected and insured.. I just need your full name and full address so eBay can send you the invoice in which you'll see how to make this transaction. I supposed to ship the car to another buyer, then he told me that he found another vehicle so is no longer interested. He already paid the shipping charges, the shipping is paid. I will send the car with all the papers (vehicle registration, warranty papers, transfer papers etc) I am just waiting your full name and address to complete the shipping papers and start the delivery process. I have advertised the car in different locations just to increase my chance to sell it faster because I need the money to pay something asap.
If you are really interested don't forget to send me your full details for shipping reservation!

Thank you very much,
Darlene 
Oh, so it's NOT in Storm Lake, Iowa.  Okay, now all the wind is out of my sails, and it's clear it's a scam Scam SCAM!  Rats.  Oh, well.  So I went out to Lake Herman Auto and drove the Mercedes SLK convertible out there.  It helped a little.

4 comments:

Phil B said...

A guy I used to work with almost fell for this same scam. A guy who should have known better, being in computer info systems and all. He went so far as to take the day off of work to drive to Montana, where the car was supposedly located only to realize just before leaving that it was a scam.

It just points to how when we really want something our minds will allow us to gloss over the clear signs and signals.

You did get to drive an SLK out of the deal, so it can't be all bad.

I know a guy who'll sell you a late model Porsche 944. His father was a mechanic at the local dealer before retiring. An excuse to come to AK! We could make it into a convertible for you.

John Nelson said...

I should have known better. It was apparent, but shoot. I tried to figure out how to let the Automall folks know, but there was no way to signal them. Oh well.

I've got a 914 under a tarp in the back, but it needs help.

C. Meyer said...

Sigh.

John Nelson said...

Sigh here too, but getting a story out of the deal makes it a little more even. No harm done, just a few extra heart beats.