Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Horseshoe Seven Brand


This is the horseshoe seven brand that my grandfather Sidney Clifford Nelson owned. He was from Hyattville, Wyoming, where my dad was born. It's a town near Ten Sleep up in the Bighorn Mountains. The brand is meant to represent two kinds of luck, the lucky seven and the hanging horseshoe. It was meant for livestock. We used to have, when I was a kid, a custom made wool rug that had this horseshoe seven brand in it. It was black with a white rectangle around the brand, and the brand itself was white. Somehow over the years the stitching came loose and the brand pieces separated from the background pieces, and for years that bunch of rug pieces was in our basement, but then it disappeared, along with the old horsehide blanket that we used to lay under as kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must correct my color blind little brother on his description of the could have been heirloom rug. The colors were purple and gold. These colors were very significant to me, a retired cheerleader, as they were also our high school colors; and so colors with which I frequently adorned myself. Blog on...

John Nelson said...

Leave it to my big sister to create controversy on my dadgum blog. Maybe they were very light gold and very dark purple. Close enough, Rita?

Anonymous said...

I suppose....It is YOUR blog.